[vtk-developers] development roadmap?

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Sat Mar 30 04:12:40 EST 2002

    SB> Can you set that up ? Is there a *free* IRC client ?  Choose a
    >>  I'm no expert but AFAIK, there is nothing really to setup.
    >> There are *many* free IRC clients (and servers).  I don't use
    >> windows but hear that mIRC is good (dont take my word for it
    >> tho).

    SB> It's shareware.

Well, a friend tells me that there are win32 builds for xchat.  Its
supposed to be pretty nice.

   http://www.xchat.org

    >> To setup a chat session simply connect to the openprojects.org
    >> server and just do a /join #vtk and if there isnt a VTK list it
    >> will be created for you.

    SB> I can't connect to openprojects.org: "connection refused".

My bad.  Visit irc.openprojects.net instead (and obviously via a chat
client :).  irc.debian.org also will get you to the same place.

    >> More advanced things are beyond me at my current knowledge
    >> level but if you want I can find out.

    SB> Yes, that's what I meant by "setup" :), in a "organization
    SB> management" point of view. Take care of the whole stuff, for
    SB> example come up with a web page listing some free IRC clients
    SB> for Windows, sum up the infos, find the server (in fact
    SB> whatever random Undernet server should be fine), time
    SB> schedule, save the log, put it online, etc.

Problem is at the moment I can't use IRC myself.  All the accounts I
have outside of my ISP dont have chat clients (and I dont have the
power to install them) and my ISP's setup is such that I get kicked
out of IRC.  I did contact the admins but I have no idea how long it
will take to get fixed.  I'll try to get my friend to install an irc
client (or an irc proxy) on his machine where I have an account.  Once
that is done I could setup something.  But right now its impossible
for me to do anything.

However, I did find a few useful sites with basic information on IRC.
There is the IRC mini-HOWTO.  On any decent GNU/Linux machine it
should be avlbl in /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/mini/IRC*

Alternatively, read it on the web here:

     http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/IRC/

I think this gives you some idea of the basics of IRC.  It also tells
you of the various clients and servers that are available.  It is *nix
centric tho but I'm sure you won't have difficulty getting the general
idea.  Its also possible to chat via jabber but you need a jabber
account on a server that has the IRC module.  I guess using
openprojects.net would be simpler.

There is a lot of information on the web on IRC.  Here are a few
useful links.

  http://www.ircbeginner.com/ircinfo/ircinfo.html

  http://www.ircbeginner.com/ircinfo/tutorials.html

  http://www.ircbeginner.com/ircinfo/ircclass.html

It might take me a little while to get things working properly but
I'll try and get something done when I can.  I'll let you all know
when I do get it going.

I hope this information is enough to get folks started with irc.

cheers,
prabhu