[vtk-developers] development roadmap?

Sebastien BARRE sebastien.barre at kitware.com
Thu Mar 28 15:29:32 EST 2002

Hi Roland

At 3/28/2002 03:17 PM, Roland Schwarz wrote:

>1) As a user I occasionally had found a bug. And instead of complaining
>fixed it and sent it first to the user list, later to this one. Hmmm,
>nothing happened. What did I do wrong? I tried to read about: How to
>contibute. -> Nothing that explained how to proceed. Is it correct to post
>to the author of the code, as found in the CVS repository? Where do I find
>e-mail adresses? Could this be a point for X-treme communication that the
>CVS repository had a auhors link, say like:
>mailto:vtk-developers at public.kitware.com?subject=vtkClassName

You might want to have a look at a feature I've added not that long ago to
the online documentation.

Each class now lists the name of its main authors/contributors, by order of
decreasing "contribution".

This might definitely help you to guess who is the right guy to contact.
Now of course you have to find the email, but most of these people post to
the user or developers list. I decided not to put the emails online because
we are receiving to much spam already.

For example, for the vtkProp3D class:
http://public.kitware.com/VTK/doc/nightly/html/classvtkProp3D.html

You will find:

Created by:

         Martin, Ken

Contributed by (if > 5%):

         Martin, Ken (53%)
         Schroeder, Will (22%)
         Gobbi, David (13%)
         Avila, Lisa (5%)

>2) There is also no information, what are the preconditions of beeing
>accepted as a developer.

http://public.kitware.com/VTK/get-software.php#cvs

"Developer Read/Write Access
Individuals who have demonstrated trustworthy behavior, have contributed to
the VTK community in significant ways, or can convince the VTK community of
these qualities, can obtain CVS read/write access. In this case, you'll
have to contact someone at Kitware (kitware at kitware.com) to set up an
account. Once you have your username and password, do the same as above,
except use your username in place of anonymous, along with the correct
password."

There is a shortcut. Send any number of "Mud-Slice" to:
   Ken Martin
   Kitware Inc,
   469 Clifton Corporate Parkway
   Clifton Park, 12065, NY