[vtk-developers] copy Wrapping/Python, Wrapping/Tcl to VTKbin?

David Gobbi dgobbi at imaging.robarts.ca
Tue Jul 23 23:20:08 EDT 2002

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

>     DG> What do people think of copying the python modules and tcl
>     DG> packages to VTKbin/bin (or perhaps VTKbin/python and
>     DG> VTKbin/tcl) as part of the standard 'make' process?
>
>     DG> The reason is that VTKbin really should contain everything
>     DG> that is needed to run VTK, one VTK is built it would be nice
>     DG> if Python and Tcl did not have to refer to the source.
>
> In that case shouldn't all the C++ header files also be installed
> there?  Actually, I think that 'make install' should do this or
> something similar.  Plain 'make' should not install anything anywhere.

C++ is a different issue.  You don't need the header files to run
VTK executables.  You do need the .py files to run VTK/python scripts.

Saying that 'make' should never install anything anywhere goes against
the way that 'make' is used by many projects.  I've seen plenty of
projects where plain 'make' copies documentation files or header files
from scattered directories into a central 'documentation' or 'include'
directory within the source tree, and then 'make install' copies them
from there into the proper install directories.  The way I see it,
make should be able to do anything we want as long as it limits itself
to the 'build' (i.e. VTKbin) directory.

> I added a setup.py recently that should install the *.py files inside
> Wrapping/Python and also do the necessary things for the
> lib*Python.so/dll files.  Could this be integrated with the make
> install process?  I can explain as to what needs to be done but dont
> want to risk doing it myself since I am not a CMake expert.

The main issue is that I never 'install' VTK.  As a developer who
rebuilds VTK on a daily basis (and sometimes many times per hour)
it is much more efficient if I use the files where the are.  I was
very glad when you took over the 'install' issues for VTK/Python,
because for now at least I don't want to have to worry about it.

Cheers,

 - David