[vtk-developers] copy Wrapping/Python, Wrapping/Tcl to VTKbin?

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Tue Jul 23 23:41:04 EDT 2002

    >>  In that case shouldn't all the C++ header files also be
    >> installed there?  Actually, I think that 'make install' should
    >> do this or something similar.  Plain 'make' should not install
    >> anything anywhere.

    DG> C++ is a different issue.  You don't need the header files to
    DG> run VTK executables.  You do need the .py files to run
    DG> VTK/python scripts.

    DG> Saying that 'make' should never install anything anywhere goes
    DG> against the way that 'make' is used by many projects.  I've
    DG> seen plenty of projects where plain 'make' copies
    DG> documentation files or header files from scattered directories
    DG> into a central 'documentation' or 'include' directory within
    DG> the source tree, and then 'make install' copies them from
    DG> there into the proper install directories.  The way I see it,
    DG> make should be able to do anything we want as long as it
    DG> limits itself to the 'build' (i.e. VTKbin) directory.

Thats true.  If the location where files are installed are
standardized there should be no major problems with doing this.
Should the 'installers' use these files instead of the source files
then?

    DG> The main issue is that I never 'install' VTK.  As a developer

I never install VTK myself either.  However, I use it on the same
platform so might never appreciate the issues with running/building it
on many platforms.

cheers,
prabhu