[vtk-developers] getting rid of instantiators

John Biddiscombe jbiddiscombe at skippingmouse.co.uk
Thu Aug 15 14:04:07 EDT 2002

Brad,

> We can add another flag in the CMakeLists.txt files to turn instantiators
> on/off, but I'm curious as to the reason you want to turn them off.  My
> problem with making them optional is that it adds another possible way for
> someone to build a version of VTK that doesn't work for their application.

I understand. the reason I want to get rid of them is because (as I expect you know), I have my own wrapper generators (via a VTK_WRAP_GUI(stuff) command) and as part of this I create a whole series of "instantiators" along with endless piles of other crap that I use for dynamic type checking when drag dropping filters and datasets etc (and gui generation).
To try to reduce the duplication and extraneous code I like to customize my build quite heavily and remove the dependence and instantiators along with some other classes that I think are inappropriate.

Initially I Needed to remove the instantiators because they hosed my wrapping process, but now they don't interfere so I can live with them in......the more I ponder it though, the more I think probably I should switch my code to use them rather than my own...

I'll reassess my objection

ttfn

JB