[vtk-developers] getting rid of instantiators

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Aug 15 09:19:51 EDT 2002

John,

> SET(VTK_MAKE_INSTANTIATOR 0)

The only reason the IF(VTK_MAKE_INSTANTIATOR) tests were done before was
for backward compatability with CMake versions that didn't support the
command.  Now that a CMake release has the command in it, we don't need
the test anymore.

> but now these instantiators are being created regardless of my settings.
> Is there a correct procedure for not creating them or should I add a
> #ifdef VTK_MAKE_INSTANTIATOR around the creation in the cmakelists files

We can add another flag in the CMakeLists.txt files to turn instantiators
on/off, but I'm curious as to the reason you want to turn them off.  My
problem with making them optional is that it adds another possible way for
someone to build a version of VTK that doesn't work for their application.

I have an idea for a way to shrink the instantiator build times and create
only one instantiator source file per kit.  Would this be sufficient to
solve your problem, or is there another reason you want to turn them off?

Thanks,
-Brad