[vtk-developers] Text Acting

John Biddiscombe jbiddiscombe at skippingmouse.co.uk
Fri Apr 26 10:31:51 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I'm fed up with TextMapper->Actor2D & ScaledTextActor business and would
like to ditch the ScaledTextActor in favour of a new vtkTextActor class with
a scaled flag.

ScaledTextActor would in fact be hardly changed apart from the name and the
new flag, but vtkTextActor would replace a mapper and actor2D combo. The
main difference would be that I'd give TextActor a position2coordinate as
well as pos 1.
Currently default text aligns itself to the point 1 coord and this would be
the new default behaviour, but for those of us that like to click text boxes
on screen and drag labels around, the new class would provide both a pos 1
and 2 coord making this better.

summary
ScaledTextActor - deprecated, with new vtkTextActor replacing it performing
both scaled and non scaled text styles. A few new alignment options would
enable all existing modes of operation to continue, but provide new
alignments for non-scaled text.

Timescale. Not this week, probably not next week, but sometime soon(ish)

Comments? (apart from lots of scripts might need editing).

JB
Actually, I think vtkTextActor2D would be the right name.