[vtk-developers] deprecate vtkInteractorStyleTrackball

Sebastien BARRE sebastien.barre at kitware.com
Fri Apr 26 08:42:25 EDT 2002

At 4/26/2002 12:57 AM, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

>     SB> Hi I think we should deprecate the vtkInteractorStyleTrackball
>     SB> class. It is, at least, duplicated code (and for some
>     SB> functions triple code). It might be confusing for VTK users to
>     SB> leave this whole pice of nasty code here, and it's a pain to
>     SB> maintain.
>
>     SB> What about we make it derived from vtkInteractorStyleSwitch
>     SB> and just write the constructor so that it sets the switch to
>     SB> trackball mode automatically (and issue a "deprecated"
>     SB> warning). The functionality, as far as I know, would be the
>     SB> same.
>
>     SB> I'll commit a new round of interactor-styles clean-up tonite
>     SB> or tomorrow.
>
>I'm confused and dont understand what you mean.

First of all, I do not see my email in the vtk dev list, so I hope I did
not just send it to you.

>  Do you mean that the
>trackball style itself is deprecated or will you rework the trackball
>code so that it is written differently?

Neither of these, sorry.
The trackball style are vtkInteractorStyleTrackballCamera and
vtkInteractorStyleTrackballActor. They are used and driven (as well as the
joystick mode) by vtkInteractorStyleSwitch.

vtkInteractorStyleTrackball is in fact both
vtkInteractorStyleTrackballCamera and vtkInteractorStyleTrackballActor,
i.e. duplicated code (i.e. it was written before, then split into the two
other one, if I remember correctly), etc.

--
Sebastien Barre