[vtk-developers] CMake. nightlies, RPMs etc.

Blezek, Daniel J (CRD) blezek at crd.ge.com
Tue Oct 2 11:12:50 EDT 2001

Prabhu,

  I'm sorry, I was writing this to the general developers list, not specifically to you.  Please
understand that I did not mean to offend you.  The patch is most assuredly a hack, but it does work.
CMake will also complicate things!  VTK 4.0 does not build otherwise, and we'll have the same
problems with CMakeCache.txt as we did with user.make.

>     DJB> It actually shouldn't be that hard, part of the RPM process
>     DJB> is the "magic" patch that sets things to build correctly.
>     DJB> The CMakeCache.txt file will be part of that.  The spec file
>     DJB> contains the patch, so it won't work on every system without
>     DJB> some tweaking.  I'll try and make time to start doing this,
>     DJB> when CMake and VTK settle down(i.e. at 4.0 release time).
>
> Sorry if I sound rude, but of course, I know of the magic in the patch
> - I was responsible for the spec file in the first place. :)
>
> The point is that this patch is a hack.  Anyway, I think I agree,
> maybe this is the only way to build RPMs for VTK now.  I guess VTK is
> simply too complex to build in any other way.  If we agree on this
> hack, maybe I can start work on the spec file.  We can deal with the
> CMakeCache.txt once the new spec file is done.

  The spec file will take a lot of work, much of VTK has changed.  We should be getting a new RH 7.1
machine in by the end of the month, where I can start building the RPMs again.

  CMake will complicate the process of building VTK from a source RPM, perhaps to the point of
rendering them useless(if you already have CMake, why not just build from the source, rather than the
RPM).

Take care,
-dan