[vtk-developers] CMake. nightlies, RPMs etc.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Mon Oct 1 16:41:02 EDT 2001

hi,

    DJB>   The nightly RPM's are built on a RedHat 6.2 system, with
    DJB> the 3.x version of the code.  We only have one 7.1 system,
    DJB> and it's fairly busy doing other things, so it may be a while
    DJB> before we can find another machine.  We do have some systems
    DJB> coming in late October that I can use to build RPMs.

Oh.  OK.

    DJB> It actually shouldn't be that hard, part of the RPM process
    DJB> is the "magic" patch that sets things to build correctly.
    DJB> The CMakeCache.txt file will be part of that.  The spec file
    DJB> contains the patch, so it won't work on every system without
    DJB> some tweaking.  I'll try and make time to start doing this,
    DJB> when CMake and VTK settle down(i.e. at 4.0 release time).

Sorry if I sound rude, but of course, I know of the magic in the patch
- I was responsible for the spec file in the first place. :)

The point is that this patch is a hack.  Anyway, I think I agree,
maybe this is the only way to build RPMs for VTK now.  I guess VTK is
simply too complex to build in any other way.  If we agree on this
hack, maybe I can start work on the spec file.  We can deal with the
CMakeCache.txt once the new spec file is done.

Also, if you folks think it useful I can try to see if I can get a RH
7.1 machine somewhere at my University and make monthly builds (daily
builds will drive me nuts).

thanks,
prabhu