[vtk-developers] CMake. nightlies, RPMs etc.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Tue Oct 2 12:31:24 EDT 2001

hi,

    DJB>   I'm sorry, I was writing this to the general developers
    DJB> list, not specifically to you.  Please understand that I did
    DJB> not mean to offend you.  The patch is most assuredly a hack,

Oh not at all.  Notice the smiley? :) Folks, I am sorry if this thread
got unpleasant and off track.  My apologies.

    DJB> but it does work.  CMake will also complicate things!  VTK
    DJB> 4.0 does not build otherwise, and we'll have the same
    DJB> problems with CMakeCache.txt as we did with user.make.

Exactly!  Which is why I wanted to know more about CMake's command
line config capabilities.  But then again this may not get us anywhere
since the VTK build is way too complex.  And with users having more
choice in their individual configurations it is practically impossible
to deal with all of them.  Lets agree on the "patch hack" approach
then.

    DJB>   The spec file will take a lot of work, much of VTK has
    DJB> changed.  We should be getting a new RH 7.1 machine in by the
    DJB> end of the month, where I can start building the RPMs again.

Well, if it helps any I can try to generate the .spec.  Unfortunately
I dont have a RH machine where I have complete access so someone will
have to help with the testing.  Would be happy to help in any way.
How about I start work on this sometime next week?  Is this ok?

    DJB>   CMake will complicate the process of building VTK from a
    DJB> source RPM, perhaps to the point of rendering them useless(if
    DJB> you already have CMake, why not just build from the source,
    DJB> rather than the RPM).

True.  However as you are aware, the advantage of the RPM is that you
get package management for free and you dont have to worry about
locating and handling the files.  If you have a reasonably standard
setup, you can distribute the rpm - atleast for folks who use the same
distro.

Once the spec file gets going we could distribute it and maybe other
users can step in and help with creating custom binaries - it will
just take a few people to get this done.  Lets hope for the best.

thanks,

prabhu

p.s. Please dont CC me in on all messages - I am subscribed to
vtk-developers!