[vtk-developers] vtkImageConvolve -- why is it there?

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu May 24 14:16:45 EDT 2001

hi,

    WS> Hi David- This was a class contributed by an outside party and
    WS> sent to me. I threw it in the repository because I like to
    WS> encourage contribution and I like to have the testing process
    WS> chew on it to flesh out the bugs. As you can see it was
<snip>
    WS> extreme programming process more (meaning poke something and
    WS> see what emerges) rather than the cathedral approach of up
    WS> front agreement on everything, which I know introduce chaos at
    WS> time. I agree that certain additions need more discussion as
    WS> this one did. I will definitely keep this in mind in the
    WS> future.

Aha! Gotcha!! ;) Does this mean that I can go ahead and commit my
patched vtkParse.y and vtkParse.tab.c into CVS and let the testing
process flesh out the bugs?  I have waited for response for almost a
month now.  My original message is here:

http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtk-developers/2001-April/000366.html

This message mentioned that the current vtkParse.y (that is in CVS) is
not parsed properly under bison 1.28 and that only older bison
versions work okay.  I dont know how to fix that bug but for my
changes (related to the Get/Set##name##MinValue/MaxValue methods) I
patched the vtkParse.y and used an older bison and things work okay.

The patch to vtkParse.y is here:

http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtk-developers/2001-April/000368.html

I spent quite some time getting all this going and dont want to throw
all that effort down the drain.

The reason why I still hesitate to commit this is that (1) I am not
very familiar with yacc/bison and my changes are definitely hacks
(they do work fine but...)  (2) I heard that changes to vtkParse.y are
supposed to be done carefully.

However, I have been using my vtkParse.y all this while and have had
no problems whatsoever.

Also, if the yacc/bison gurus are _really_ busy then what time is a
good time for me to remind them?  Or are you ignoring all this because
you are planning on doing away with all this yacc business by using
gcc-xml??

thanks,
prabhu