[vtk-developers] vtkImageConvolve -- why is it there?

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Thu May 24 15:08:29 EDT 2001

Hi Prabhu-

My opinion: if you've tried something, tested it locally the best you can, described it on the list, and given it enough time to age, and there are no objections, check it in. If the dashboard croaks, then you know for sure :-) We can always back out.

(Oh-oh, I feel the urge to climb up on a soapbox...
I think part of the confusion is due to the fact that are multiple levels of importance to the system. And depending on the importance, different strategies are required. For example, a lex/yacc change can trash the whole system and requires more caution. Adding a new class like vtkImageConvolution has the potential to be widely used and should be discussed. Adding a class like vtkOrderedTriangulator (which I recently did) affects two other classes in the system (vtkClipVolume and vtkClipDataSet) and is very specialized. It doesn't make sense to spend the time checking with everybody else.

This is all obvious. The bottom line is that it is a process, inherently mistake prone, and requires trust to work. You do the best you can with the intention of creating something good, and expecting the help of others who share similar goals.
....off the box :-)

Will