[Paraview] catalyst with parallel rendering

Mark Olesen Mark.Olesen at esi-group.com
Mon May 28 11:24:55 EDT 2018

For the mailing list, since this must probably be a FAQ (even if I seem
to find the answer in the usual places).

I would like to have paraview rendering in parallel for a simulation
with catalyst. For simplicity, I'm fiddling about on a local
workstation, but would like to generalize later. it should work without
live visualization enabled, or requiring a GUI to connect.

I'd presume using something like the following

mpirun -np 12 pvserver --server-port=123456 --force-offscreen-rendering

would be setup a parallel rendering session as usual. However, after
scouring docs there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to connect this
within catalyst (without a GUI).

The only access point that I seem to find is to define an MPI
communicator for initializing catalyst after some how (some hand-waving
here) querying a pvserver connection for its host topology and defining
an appropriate communicator.

Cheers,

/mark