[Paraview] png image file size - screenshot vs animation

Stief, Alexander Alexander.Stief at hs-aalen.de
Wed Mar 28 07:20:36 EDT 2018

Hi,

PV version is 5.4.1
when making a png screenshot in PV with a resolution of 3840x2160, the file size I get with default settings is ~1.4MB. This is due to the fact that around 80% of the image are plain white space. So far, so normal.
However, when I create an animation and export to png images with the exact same default settings for image quality, the image file size for the exact same scene is ~28MB.
Only when I dial down the image quality manually to around 60 the file size becomes similar to the png file from the screenshot. And the image quality is not visibly worse than with 100% setting.
This must be some kind of bug, I never had this issue with previous versions.

tl;dr: png image file size differs greatly between screenshot and animation with the exact same default settings.

Regards
Alex