[Paraview] png image file size - screenshot vs animation

Stief, Alexander Alexander.Stief at hs-aalen.de
Wed Mar 28 13:13:41 EDT 2018

This does not fit my observation.
Saving as a screenshot, I get a reasonably small png file size.
Saving the same scene as an animation instead, I get huge png files instead regardless of the image content.

I tried again with a plain white scene and a resolution of 6428x3764
File size using save screenshot (image quality 100): 85.2KiB
File size using save animation (image quality 100): 69.3Mib
File size using save animation (image quality 80): 327.2Kib

Alex,

In 5.4, save screenshot didn't compress the images at all. This was
done simply to improve the performance since compression took
considerable amount of time for larger images. However, it's been
changed in 5.5 to a more sensible default for both animations and save
screenshots.

Also note, with PNG compression doesn't affect image quality since
it's always lossless.

Utkarsh