[Paraview] PLY files fail to load with scalar/vector fields associated with vertices/faces

Greg Fleishman greg.nli10me at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 20:27:08 EDT 2018

Hi Paraview users,

I'm relatively new to Paraview, but I'll try to describe this problem
succinctly:

I am working with some mesh files in python using the pymesh package (there
are two python packages in existence with that name, I am specifically
using this one: http://pymesh.readthedocs.io/en/latest/).

According to http://pymesh.readthedocs.io/en/latest/basic.html#saving-mesh,
this package will only write out mesh files with attributes affiliated with
the vertices/faces in .msh or .ply format. Paraview natively reads .ply
format - so that's good at least.

However, when I write out such a .ply file (example attached) and attempt
to load it in Paraview, none of the scalar data affiliated with the
vertices or faces is available in the "color" drop down menu in properties.
The scalar fields are also not listed under Information --> Data Arrays.

I converted the .ply file to a .vtp file using pvpython (script and .vtp
output attached), but again Paraview fails to load any of the scalar
fields. This makes sense because the .vtp file doesn't seem to contain any
information about the scalar fields, so it seems that the failure to
display them could be a failure to even read them in the first place.

Can someone point out what I'm doing wrong, or is there just a limitation
here in Paraview?

Gratefully,
Greg M. Fleishman

--