[Paraview] PLY files fail to load with scalar/vector fields associated with vertices/faces

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Fri Mar 16 12:58:30 EDT 2018

Greg,

I believe you are running into a limitation of the PLY reader in VTK, which
is what ParaView uses to read PLY files. I'm afraid it does not read
arbitrary properties from PLY files. It will read only vertex properties
named "x", "y", "z", "u","v", "nx", "ny", "nz", "red", "green", "blue", and
"alpha" and face properties named "vertex_indices", "intensity", "red",
"green", "blue", and "alpha".

Best regards,
Cory

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 8:27 PM, Greg Fleishman <greg.nli10me at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Paraview users,
>
> I'm relatively new to Paraview, but I'll try to describe this problem
> succinctly:
>
> I am working with some mesh files in python using the pymesh package
> (there are two python packages in existence with that name, I am
> specifically using this one: http://pymesh.readthedocs.io/en/latest/).
>
> According to http://pymesh.readthedocs.io/en/latest/basic.html#saving-mesh,
> this package will only write out mesh files with attributes affiliated with
> the vertices/faces in .msh or .ply format. Paraview natively reads .ply
> format - so that's good at least.
>
> However, when I write out such a .ply file (example attached) and attempt
> to load it in Paraview, none of the scalar data affiliated with the
> vertices or faces is available in the "color" drop down menu in properties.
> The scalar fields are also not listed under Information --> Data Arrays.
>
> I converted the .ply file to a .vtp file using pvpython (script and .vtp
> output attached), but again Paraview fails to load any of the scalar
> fields. This makes sense because the .vtp file doesn't seem to contain any
> information about the scalar fields, so it seems that the failure to
> display them could be a failure to even read them in the first place.
>
> Can someone point out what I'm doing wrong, or is there just a limitation
> here in Paraview?
>
> Gratefully,
> Greg M. Fleishman
>
> --