[Paraview] Good neighbor filter

Dennis Conklin dennis_conklin at goodyear.com
Wed Feb 14 13:38:21 EST 2018

All,

I am looking to calculate a mesh quality measure that would be the ratio of the max/min of the element volumes of each element and all it's neighbors (other elements with common nodes).  I intend to use this to quantify grid refinement transitions and perhaps establish some design standards for them.    I have tried Gradient of Element Volume, but I need to eliminate the distance part of that to get the number that I want.    So, if I have a hex element in a regular grid,  I would expect to have 26 "neighbor" elements plus the original element.    The number I want is  (max of 27 element volumes)/(min of 27 element volumes).    This quantity will highlight mesh refinement transitions.

My question (at last) is:    how do I find all the neighbor elements (share at least 1 node) of each element in my model?   I'd like to do this in a Programmable Filter.  I'm afraid I don't know much about how connectivity is implemented in vtk.

Dennis