[Paraview] Good neighbor filter

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Wed Feb 14 13:51:13 EST 2018

Hi Dennis,

I'm assuming you're dealing with a vtkUnstructuredGrid (for the
topologically regular grids you should just use the extent information).
You'll want to look at the GetCellNeighbors() method --
https://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkUnstructuredGrid.html#ac532485599a5d92acf4d9ca1e8818bfc.
Here, cellId is the cell you want to get the neighbors from, ptIds is the
list of points that need to be shared by both cells and cellIds is the
return list. You'll have to iterate over all points of the cell you're
interested in (i.e. call GetCellNeighbors() 8 times for a hex).

The basic algorithm is:
loop over cells:
  for each cell, loop over all of its points
    for each point call GeCellNeighbors(cellid, point id list with a single
point)
      loop through cellids to compare cell sizes

Please let me know if this isn't clear enough to get you going...

Cheers,
Andy

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Dennis Conklin <dennis_conklin at goodyear.com