[Paraview] Help

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Feb 14 15:57:19 EST 2018

Mohammed,

The answer to your question depends on a lot of things.

Depending on your simulation, it might be easiest if the simulation itself detected when a particle exits the pipe. It is, after all, the thing tracking the particles to begin with. From there it could output its count in a csv file. You could load that up and plot in in ParaView, although a typical spreadsheet program can do that as well.

Assuming it is not feasible to have your simulation do the count, getting ParaView to do it depends on a lot of things. First, it depends on whether particles “die” in your simulation. It is pretty common in simulation code to have particles leave the defined domain (or otherwise become invalid) and then get removed from the list of particles that get written out. If particles never die, then your job in ParaView is easier. You can just count how many particles are past the out end of the pipe and count that.

If particles are born or die in your simulation, then the problem becomes much more difficult.

-Ken