[Paraview] Input files

Samuel Key samuelkey at bresnan.net
Mon Sep 18 10:01:27 EDT 2017

Doina,

Welcome to ParaView.

Here is the URL for the user's guide:
https://www.paraview.org/paraview-guide/

(In the second paragraph "(CE)" click on the first blue here.)

First comment, ParaView is not a mesh generator. (It does have a number
of displayable graphics objects, for example, a sphere. They are are
ordinarily used for testing and/or for demonstration of ParaView's
filters, et cetera.

Second, one needs to select an input format that ParaView understands
and use that format to "describe" your simulation results, that is,
describe your mesh, the datum set that resides at Points and the datum
set that resides in the Cells.

The simplest (well documented) format is the VTK-Classic format, an
all-ASCII format (see attached document). There is a caution when using
this format guide, namely, the guide is concise and complete, but the
information is stated only once and not necessarily where you would
expect to find it.  One more caution --  The VTK READER in ParaView was
written by a C-language programmer, and the input array-location
information requested is in offsets. A value in the array A(1:100) at
the first location is at "0" and the item at the end of the array is at
location "99"

Just about all useful formats will have the information needed by the
VTK-Classic format and once you have mastered this format, the other
formats will make more sense.

Hope this helps,

Samuel Key
FMA Development