[Paraview] LiveInsituLink proxy in pvpython client

Kolja Petersen petersenkolja at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 12:51:40 EDT 2017

More questions below...

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 5:54 PM, Andy Bauer <andy.bauer at kitware.com> wrote:

> I inlined some answers below...
>
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 1:42 PM, Kolja Petersen <petersenkolja at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thank you, Andy,
>> unfortunately your answer has shown me how little I understand about
>> Catalyst. But maybe it leads in the right direction after some work from my
>> side.
>>
>> Just to make sure that we are talking about the same thing: My pvpython
>> client is supposed to automate some of the visualization functionality of
>> the paraview GUI. The coprocessing.py is in charge of the other side of the
>> link, namely to provide data to the visualization side, if I understand
>> correctly? I rather followed what happens in the constructor
>> pqLiveInsituVisualizationManager::pqLiveInsituVisualizationManager(int
>> connection_port, pqServer* server), which creates a
>> vtkSMLiveInsituLinkProxy, not a vtkLiveInsituLink as coprocessing.py.
>>

> Yes, coprocessing.py should only be used on the simulation side.

So, did you suggest, coprocessing.py could also help to develop the
visualization side? If yes, how? Or was my first email too unclear, so that
my intention was not obvious?

>> Now I saw that the vtkLiveInsituLink class can have ProcessType LIVE (for
>> the visualization side? as server side object of the proxy created by
>> paraview?) or INSITU (for the simulation side?). So apparently the same
>> class can take both roles? If yes, that'd clarify some of my confusion. But
>> still I don't see how coprocessing.py helps me to implement a python
>> visualization client?
>>

> Yes, the same class does work in both roles with the LIVE ProcessType
> being the visualization side and the INSITU being the simulation side.
> Things get a little murkier when there is a separate pvserver from the
> client that connects to the simulation.

What do you mean by "murkier"? Paraview also uses a proxy (to a
vtkLiveInsituLink instance either on a pvserver or on the builtin server),
not  the class itself. Do you have an easier solution (C++ or python) by
using vtkInsituLink directly?

Are there any design documents from Kitware that show the timings and
message exchange between Catalyst, pvserver and Paraview (or other
clients)? I don't know Kitware's publishing policies. My impression was
always that you are not just developing the Paraview application but also
an open source visualization programming framework. Maybe I'm wrong, but I
am missing some kind of "Paraview Programming Guide" that goes beyond a
User's Guide, to enable others understand the concepts behind Paraview and
contribute at a deeper level than just adding filters and data processing
algorithms.
Anyway, thanks for your explanations, although I couldn't make much
progress.
Kolja