[Paraview] LiveInsituLink proxy in pvpython client

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Thu Oct 26 11:54:54 EDT 2017

I inlined some answers below...

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 1:42 PM, Kolja Petersen <petersenkolja at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thank you, Andy,
> unfortunately your answer has shown me how little I understand about
> Catalyst. But maybe it leads in the right direction after some work from my
> side.
>
> Just to make sure that we are talking about the same thing: My pvpython
> client is supposed to automate some of the visualization functionality of
> the paraview GUI. The coprocessing.py is in charge of the other side of the
> link, namely to provide data to the visualization side, if I understand
> correctly? I rather followed what happens in the constructor
> pqLiveInsituVisualizationManager::pqLiveInsituVisualizationManager(int
> connection_port, pqServer* server), which creates a
> vtkSMLiveInsituLinkProxy, not a vtkLiveInsituLink as coprocessing.py.

Yes, coprocessing.py should only be used on the simulation side.

> Now I saw that the vtkLiveInsituLink class can have ProcessType LIVE (for
> the visualization side? as server side object of the proxy created by
> paraview?) or INSITU (for the simulation side?). So apparently the same
> class can take both roles? If yes, that'd clarify some of my confusion. But
> still I don't see how coprocessing.py helps me to implement a python
> visualization client?

Yes, the same class does work in both roles with the LIVE ProcessType being
the visualization side and the INSITU being the simulation side. Things get
a little murkier when there is a separate pvserver from the client that
connects to the simulation.

> Then, following the creation of a vtkSMLiveInsituLinkProxy in the
> pqLiveInsituVisualizationManager constructor, this proxy's server side
> vtkLiveInsituLink calls "parallelController->TriggerRMIOnAllChildren(INITIALIZE_CONNECTION);"
> inside vtkLiveInsituLink::InsituConnect(vtkMultiProcessController*
> proc0NodesController). This seems to be the first RMI sent over the link.
> Is there any possibility to log the transmission or reception of this RMI?
> I don't find it in the cslogs.
> I think I could make some progress if I am able to debug where those
> messages are sent to, and why the python client doesn't react to them.

I believe the cslogs are only between the client and server. You may be
able to print the cslogs on the simulation side as well but I haven't tried
that to verify that it works.