[Paraview] vector plot with multiblock dataset. possible bug or dataset issue?

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Wed Mar 15 09:56:59 EDT 2017

Ufuk,

> I have some weird observation with 5.3RC2 when i try to create
> visualisation of vector field that is coming from multiblock dataset (has
> 4x4 decomposition). The problem is that in the simple visualization
> pipeline such as Calculator -> Glyph, i could barely see or pick the
> boundaries of the individual blocks which is not good.

I do not follow. Are you expecting to see the border between blocks
highlighted for some reason? There's no reason to expect that, unless
that was a characteristic of your data.

> Then i tried to add
> MergeBlocks filter just after Calculator and try to visualize data with
> Glyph. In this case, it fixes the boundary problem (at least it seems like
> that).

I don't think I see anything particularly different if I use merge
blocks or not. Note, if your "Glyph Mode" is not "All Points" there
may be minor differences between which points get selected for
glyphing, but that's just coincidental, and any patterns you notice in
that case are likely to be aliasing artifacts due to subsampling.

> But, when i play with the Glyph Mode property and change it such as
> Every Nth Point and set as 3 then i could again see the boundaries with
> flat vectors. I just wonder that is it a bug or related with the dataset
> itself?

If you're referring to the band in the attached image, then this is
just an aliasing artifact. Otherwise,  here too I am not sure which
flat vectors are you referring to.