[Paraview] Query on paraview software rendering vs GPU rendering on ubuntu server

Dan Lipsa dan.lipsa at kitware.com
Wed Feb 1 15:28:51 EST 2017

Bishwajit,

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 1:26 PM, Bishwajit Dutta <bdutta at vt.edu> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am setting up paraview in different modes in my university for research
> and had the below queries on paraview wrt ubuntu. Thanks if anyone can
> answer them.
>
> a) Is it possible to dynamically switch between CPU (mesa software
> rendering) and GPU rendering (openGL). If so, which Paraview version
> supports this and the steps.

Not as far as I know. The OpenGL libraries are resolved at configuration
and compilation time.

> Is not then can paraview binaries be used with some commandline option for
> the same.

On the same machine, you could run two servers one that renders in software
and one that renders on the GPU. You could save the state, disconnect from
one, connect to the other and load the saved state. But this is not really
dynamic switching.

b) In ubuntu server version (which has no GUI), can paraview use GPU for
> graphics acceleration as there is no GUI.
> I don't get this properly if desktop GUI is must for GPU usage.

Yes, if the server has an NVidia card and a recent driver it should be
possible to use EGL.

https://blog.kitware.com/off-screen-rendering-through-the-native-platform-interface-egl/