[Paraview] Query on paraview software rendering vs GPU rendering on ubuntu server

Bishwajit Dutta bdutta at vt.edu
Wed Feb 1 13:26:48 EST 2017

Hi All,

I am setting up paraview in different modes in my university for research
and had the below queries on paraview wrt ubuntu. Thanks if anyone can
answer them.

a) Is it possible to dynamically switch between CPU (mesa software
rendering) and GPU rendering (openGL). If so, which Paraview version
supports this and the steps. Is not then can paraview binaries be used with
some commandline option for the same.

b) In ubuntu server version (which has no GUI), can paraview use GPU for
graphics acceleration as there is no GUI.
I don't get this properly if desktop GUI is must for GPU usage.

BR,
Bishwajit