[Paraview] Minor bug in OPENFOAM import filter

Eugene de Villiers e.devilliers at engys.com
Wed Jun 29 03:49:46 EDT 2016

David,

That’s perfect.

Eugene

From: David Lonie [mailto:david.lonie at kitware.com]
Sent: 28 June 2016 21:40
To: Eugene de Villiers <e.devilliers at engys.com>
Cc: Takuya OSHIMA <oshima at eng.niigata-u.ac.jp>; paraview at paraview.org
Subject: Re: [Paraview] Minor bug in OPENFOAM import filter

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 3:06 PM, David Lonie <david.lonie at kitware.com<mailto:david.lonie at kitware.com>> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 1:02 PM, Eugene de Villiers <e.devilliers at engys.com<mailto:e.devilliers at engys.com>> wrote:
Hi Takuya, David,

That would be perfect. What kind of timeline are we looking at to see this in a release version?

It's difficult to say for sure. It might be out in the next patch release, but it might have to wait for the next major/minor release. The openFOAM reader is a complicated bit of code, I'm still investigating the best way to go about implementing this. I'll update this thread once I know more.

Good news -- I found an easy fix. Instead of failing outright when

(scalar (scalar scalar))

is found because the internal data structures can't handle nested lists following scalar data, I patched the reader to simply read the nested list, discard it, print a warning, and continue reading the file.

You'll still see a warning pop up in paraview, but the file should still read successfully as long as the unsupported list does not appear in a field used for visualization.

The patch is here: https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/1598

If this is agreeable to everyone, we'll get it merged and incorporated into a future release.

Dave