[Paraview] Bug report on visualizing image series

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Fri Jan 8 09:48:54 EST 2016

Christoph,

It sounds like you are reading the images as a stack. The assumption
of the reader, and in the vtkImageData object that represents the
stack, is that each 2D image has the same number of pixels in each
dimension. In fact, this assumption of a logical lattice structure is
central to all algorithms that deal with image data.

To view this as you intend, you would probably need to convert each 2D
image to a surface and then cycle through the surfaces. If you want to
step through them, you could load the series of surface as a time
series and step through with the animation controls.

HTH,
Cory

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 8:42 AM, Christoph Jud <christoph.jud at unibas.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there is a bug when visualizing a series of (2D) images which have a
> different number of pixels. The scenario is as follows:
>
> Let image-0.vtk and image-1.vtk be given with both having the same physical
> bounds but with different spacing. Thus, they have a different number of
> pixels. When viewing them e.g. in slice representation as a series, the
> first one is correctly visualized. When stepping a frame, i.e. to the next
> image, only the number of pixels of the preceding image are visualized
> (however with correct origin/spacing). So, the difference of the extent in
> each dimension is cropped.
>
> I don't know if this behaviour is intended in the series reader. But I think
> for the visualization of images with equal bounds, it would be more natural
> to treat the resolution of the images as transparent.
>
> Kind regards,
> Christoph

Cory Quammen
R&D Engineer