[Paraview] Parallel rendering including transparency

Kai Winter kaiwinter212 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 11:41:24 EDT 2016

Hello,
is it possible to extend the example at
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/MultiPass_Rendering_With_IceT for parallel
rendering including transparent objects?

I have tried to modify the above example by first setting
  actor->GetProperty()->SetOpacity(0.3);
after creation of the actor, and, second, adding
  vtkSmartPointer<vtkTranslucentPass> translucent =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkTranslucentPass>::New();
  passes->AddItem(translucent);
after the original line "passes->AddItem(opaque);".

The result is for example, when running with 3 MPI processes:
The sphere segments in the partial Renderers of process 1 and 2 are
transparent (but show some artefacts).
The composite Renderer of process 0 doesn't show any sphere, just the black
background!
When the opacity is set to 1, the sphere segments are composited in three
colors on process 0 as expected.

What is required to correctly perform parallel rendering including
transparency?
(I am using ParaView-v5.0.1, compiled from source on Ubuntu 15.04)

Thank you
Kai