[Paraview] Isosurface and slicing with Catalyst in C++

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Wed Sep 2 15:01:37 EDT 2015

Hi Matthieu,

I would strongly recommend that you use a ParaView GUI generated Python
Catalyst pipeline script instead of hand-written C++ Catalyst pipeliine to
do what you want. There are a surprising amount of settings required to
output images from VTK. If you want to do that in parallel the complexity
goes up even more due to parallel compositing of the images. Everyone that
I've run across that wanted to avoid Python with their Catalyst
instrumented code quickly changed their mind after trying out the Python
generated scripts. The overhead of using Python really is negligible
compared to a pure C++ description of the Catalyst pipeline. Also, the
Catalyst Live and Cinema output are all driven by Python code as well.

The last and only time I tried doing rendering in parallel in VTK it took
me about 5 days and that was with constantly asking questions from other
people here at Kitware that knew how to do that.

That being said, if after reading this you're still set on doing all of
this in C++ then let us know and we'll see what can be done.

Regards,
Andy