[Paraview] Fetching data from xdmf temporal collection

Tim Gallagher tim.gallagher at gatech.edu
Tue Mar 17 14:43:49 EDT 2015

Hi Jean-Michel,

For what it's worth, we never had much luck when we tried using XDMF time series (back in the early PV version 3.14 days). So we instead just got in the habit of looking at individual snap shots and if we wanted to do an animation, we would use the Python trace feature to set up our view and then make some small modifications to the generated trace script. We would wrap all of the contents in a function that took in a file name/number and output an image at the end and then we would write a small driver program that would call that function, looping over our temporal series that way.

It has the added benefit of running the visualization on a cluster where each process is serial and handles a range of data files.

Hopefully somebody who has gotten temporal series to work can help you out. If not, I'll be happy to share some example scripts for processing time series data as snapshots using pvpython.

Tim