[Paraview] Load series of VTK files

Samuel Key samuelkey at bresnan.net
Fri Mar 6 09:20:09 EST 2015

Ian,

If the *.vtu files are using the XML-based format, the you can use a
*.vtd "mother file" (or meta file) that references the *.vtu files. An
example of a *.pvd file is attached, however, the 'name=...' item is
ignored (not used) by PV's Extract Block filter.

Sam

On 3/6/2015 6:13 AM, Ian Krukow wrote:
> Yes, that would work. I could write me a script for renaming the
> files. But I would rather avoid that, as I get the result files from a
> project partner with the simulation time in the filename. So, they are
> named something like
> file_t=0.0012.vtu
> file_t=0.0024.vtu
> As soon as t passes 1, ParaView sees a new series. In addition, the
> first timestep has a different filename, because it is a steady-state
> solution. I could remove the dots in the time values and rename the
> steady-state solution, but I would have to do it every time I get a
> new file series. Therefore, I have been looking for another solution.
>
> Kind regards
> Ian
>

> Am 06.03.2015 um 11:56 schrieb dkxls23 at gmail.com:
>> Have you tried to name the files like this:
>> fileName.0000.vtu
>> fileName.0001.vtu
>> fileName.0002.vtu
>>
>> ParaView should recognize them as a time series.
>>
>> That typically worked for me (cannot test it though at the moment).
>>
>> -Armin
>>

>> On Fri Mar 6 12:36:01 2015 GMT+0200, Ian Krukow wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I want to load a series of VTU files, which are all stored in one
>>> directory, but not numbered in a way that ParaView recognises them as
>>> one series. In a python script, I can do it like this:
>>>
>>> import glob
>>> import paraview.simple as pv
>>> pattern = 'directory/*.vtu'
>>> files = glob.glob(pattern)