[Paraview] Load series of VTK files

Ian Krukow i.krukow at tu-braunschweig.de
Mon Mar 9 06:41:17 EDT 2015

Thank you for your suggestions! Still: No matter which one I choose, I
would have to edit every new set of files, before I can load it into
ParaView.

I have now set up a (very small) pvypthon module vtuseries.py, which
looks like this:

import os,glob
import paraview.simple as pv

def load(directory):
     """Load VTU file series from given directory
     """
     pattern = os.path.join(directory, '*.vtu')
     files = glob.glob(pattern)
     reader = pv.XMLUnstructuredGridReader( FileName=files )

Putting this module on the path of the ParaView Python Shell gives me
the opportunity to run

import vtuseries
vtuseries.load(directory)

from the Python Shell, which creates a reader with all the vtu files in
the given directory. Maybe this is not even easier than the other
suggestions, but it is closer to what I had been looking for originally.

I thought there might be a better way to run python code depending on a
given parameter (the input directory) in the ParaView GUI, but I have
not found it.

One last question to the developers: Is there a special reason, that it
is not possible to select several VTK files from the Open dialog, which
are then opened as a sequence?

Kind regards
Ian