[Paraview] Error cross-compiling Catalyst on BG/Q

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Feb 12 17:57:22 EST 2015

ParaView/Catalyst/VTK build and run some helper executables during the
build process of themselves. An example is vtkWrapPython, who's job during
the compile process is to parse the C++ header files and spit out
additional header and cxx files that make the originals callable from
python. All of those c++ files are later compiled for the target
environment.

In cross compilation the helper executables have to be compiled to run in
the host environment.
The source code that the helpers produce has to be compiled to run in the
compute environment.

So build paraview (or better yet just the CompileTools target to save time)
once for the host.
Then in a different directory build paraview again, using the toolchain you
are now using to tell it what compilers and libraries to use for the
compute nodes, and in this build tell cmake where the host tools can be
found.

See the ParaViewSuperbuild project's CMake/crosscompile/bgq_gnu directory
for how I set this up on mira.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer