[Paraview] Track massive particles over time, particle ID is known

timcfagan . timcfagan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 18:46:10 EST 2015

I've tried to do the same thing Chenshu, this is how I ended up doing it:

open vtk particle file
generate ids (possibly apply it even if they already have ids)
extract entire dataset with particles through
threshold by generated ids for the particles you want
(This can be done multiple times to select multiple sets of points, then
append datasets to combine them to one)
Temporal particles to pathlines

Unfortunately I haven't found a better way to actually select the particles
other than through selecting them by particle ids. Just extracting a
selection doesn't work properly with the pathlines filter. But you can
extract a selection and view their ids in spreadsheet form. I was doing
this, writing it down and then applying the threshold. Also the generate
id's filter was applying them in layers in z, so you may find thresholding
for z>0 is easy as it might be one threshold in the id's. You just need to
find the right id number.

Maybe someone knows a better way though...