[Paraview] non-symmetric representation of symmetric field

Magician f_magician at mac.com
Sat May 17 01:00:20 EDT 2014

Hi Mikhail,

Yes, that’s because of the triangulation (or tesselation) of surface representations.
Most of the 3D programs including ParaView draw objects as groups of triangles.
That’s depends on today’s 3D rendering pipelines such as OpenGL, DirectX, etc.
Please googling the keywords: ‘vertex shading’

Even though you read your data as structured grid with point values,
ParaView should immediately triangulate all of the rectangles, and interpolating
the values between points of the triangles.

# If you visualize cell values, there are no problem caused by interpolating.

The attached image is one of the solution.
1. read your data
2. make a ‘fine resolution' Plane source with same size to the original (for example, 200x100 structured grid)
3. apply Resample With Dataset filter
The result looks nearly-symmetric for me.

Magician