[Paraview] non-symmetric representation of symmetric field

Mikhail Artemyev artemiev.mikhail at gmail.com
Fri May 16 21:40:18 EDT 2014

Dear all,

Here is a minimal example of values distributed over a mesh:

0------0------0------0------0
|        |        |         |        |
0----0.5---0.75---0.5-----0
|        |        |         |        |
0------0------1------0------0

To visualize this field I wrote a .vts file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<VTKFile type="StructuredGrid" version="0.1" byte_order="LittleEndian">
   <StructuredGrid WholeExtent="1 5 1 3 1 1">
     <Piece Extent="1 5 1 3 1 1">
       <PointData Scalars="scalars">
         <DataArray type="Float64" Name="sol_" format="ascii">
0 0 1 0 0 0 0.5 0.75 0.5 0 0 0 0 0 0
         </DataArray>
       </PointData>
       <Points>
         <DataArray type="Float64" NumberOfComponents="3" format="ascii">
0 0 0
1 0 0
2 0 0
3 0 0
4 0 0
0 1 0
1 1 0
2 1 0
3 1 0
4 1 0
0 2 0
1 2 0
2 2 0
3 2 0
4 2 0
         </DataArray>
       </Points>
     </Piece>
   </StructuredGrid>
</VTKFile>

The visual representation of this field, however, doesn't look symmetric
(a figure is attached),
although the values are symmetric with respect to a Y-axis crossing the
center of the domain.

Could you please shed some light on where I am wrong -
in my understanding of visualization technique, or in a way I pass the
data to ParaView?
I use ParaView 4.1.0 64-bit, Linux.

Thank you.
Best regards,