[Paraview] x3d geometry export garbled?

Cook, Rich cook47 at llnl.gov
Wed Nov 20 16:10:40 EST 2013

I have discovered that this is connected with the Miranda reader.  I believe the actual culprit is the "Cell Data to Point Data" filter.  In that step, somehow the x3d exporter fumbles somewhere.  Just a theory.  Without any developer feedback, I'm going to just make stuff up.  :-)
When I export the geometry from my scene and then re-import it, then save the scene to x3d, the colors are properly preserved and blender can deal with it.
I now have a path forward.  It's ugly, but if I can put it into a script once then fuggetaboutit it's done.  That's a pretty big "if" but I think
Thanks for listening to my podcast folks!  I'm here each week.
-- Rich

1.  First create the desired contours in Paraview using parallel rendering.  How to:
    A.  Open the plot.mir file in ParaView after connecting in parallel.
    B.  Enable the variables you want to have available to contour and color by; click Apply
    C.  Since paraview views Miranda data as being zonal, to create a contour of Miranda data, you have to first apply the "Cell Data to Point Data" filter.   Enable "Pass Cell Data" to allow the next step to color by nodal values, which looks better than zonal, given the contour is nodal.   click Apply
    D.  Apply a Contour filter by clicking the onion shell in the toolbar or with Filters->Contour.  Click "Compute Scalars".  Click Apply.  You can now change the Coloring to be by another variable.

2.  Choose File --> "Save Geometry".  This will save all timesteps, so be patient.

3.  Import the saved geometry again and then export each timestep as an x3d file.  With many timesteps, you might want to script the tedious part.