[Paraview] installing pv-meshless plugin for ParaView

Yaroslav Vasyliv vasylivy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 12:12:13 EST 2013

Hi All,

I am interested in using the pv-meshless plugin for ParaView to post
process SPH data. From what I've read it seems the only way to install a
plug-in that is not loaded with ParaView is by building the entire
application from the source code. I am under this impression b/c one of the
parameters that is needed to be passed to CMake when building pv-meshless
is the directory folder "paraview/build" where it looks for other
CMakeLists for the paraview application. The problem is if you install
paraview from the binaries there is no paraview/build directory so CMake
complains. Basically I am not sure how to properly install an unsupported
plug-in for ParaView. My background with software/programming is mostly
limited to Java & Eclipse IDE. I'd like to think it would have been as
simple as downloading a dll file for the plugin and pointing ParaView to
find the correct dll file. But I am guessing ParaView doesn't magically
support plug-ins  besides default ones. I would have thought pv-meshless
would have been a supported plug-in in the recent binary distribution but I
guess it is not. :(

Yesterday I tried building the ParaViewSuperbuild from source  with the
following CMake Enable options (I should point out I'm not really sure what
options to choose, never used CMake before..But I am guessing the following
three components are critical to have a minimally running paraview gui):

ENABLE_paraview
ENABLE_python
ENABLE_qt

I opened the cmake gui from the VS command prompt to auto set correct path
variables for various things. I also opened visual studio as the
administrator. It took maybe 2-3 hrs + to finish compiling. These are the
problems I ran into:

(1) When I open the executable for paraview it failed to find the
python27.lib even though I saw that it was built under:

\Build\python\src\python\PCbuild

I added the path to my PATH environment variable and ParaView started up
fine.

(2) When I try to open the python shell PV crashes. This is tells me some
other executables path  was not set correctly. This is probably an
indication of a bigger problem so I am not sure if I compiled PV correctly.
Any clue why the path variables weren't set correctly?

(3) it also failed to build ParaView under the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX
specified directory..

Also if I anyone can direct me to the list where the ENABLE_Components are
described as they relate to ParaView functionality I'd really appreciate
it. Also is it quicker to build from source on a UNIX based machine? It
mentions building QT is time consuming on windows is it substantially
faster on other OS's?

*Info:*
cmake-2.8.8-win32-x86 (just found out it is recommended to use 2.8.9+ )
Visual Studio 2008, 9.0 Professional Edition
OS: Windows 7 64 bit
Accessing ParaView-Superbuild and appropriate downloads via git

Thanks for any help/tips

Yaro