[Paraview] Help for DataObjectGenerator

Guillaume Jacquenot guillaume.jacquenot at gmail.com
Fri May 17 11:34:54 EDT 2013

Dear Paraview users,

I would like to create, from a script file, some data (lines) with
python/vtk instructions and display the result for a Paraview client.

I know I can do it with Programmable Source.
The wiki page here gives some examples
http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Simple_ParaView_3_Python_Filters

However, this presents several drawback for me.
- The code might be long, and is not easily maintenable as it is stored as
a single string, when doing some batch operations
- I need to give some input arguments to this code
- I have some python functions

Therefore, I have tried to do it with DataObjectGenerator, but I can not
use it properly.
I use the comand servermanager.Fetch to retrieve data, I manage to modify
it.
Next step would be to ask Paraview to propagate modifications, and display
the new data.
But I dont know how to do it.
Any advice?

I know some people had the same problem, but I can not figure out the
solution
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.science.paraview.user/10879

Below is my Python code, that does not work: the final result is not
displayed on screen.

try: paraview.simple
except: from paraview.simple import *
paraview.simple._DisableFirstRenderCameraReset()
from paraview import vtk

p= DataObjectGenerator(Program='PD1')
p.UpdatePipeline()
output = servermanager.Fetch(p)
output.Initialize()
newPts = vtk.vtkPoints()
numPts=5
newPts.InsertPoint(0, 0.0,0.0,0.0)
newPts.InsertPoint(1, 0.0,0.0,5.0)
newPts.InsertPoint(2, 5.0,0.0,5.0)
newPts.InsertPoint(3, 5.0,5.0,5.0)
newPts.InsertPoint(4, 5.0,9.0,7.0)
output.SetPoints(newPts)
aPolyLine = vtk.vtkPolyLine()
aPolyLine.GetPointIds().SetNumberOfIds(numPts)
[aPolyLine.GetPointIds().SetId(i, i) for i in range(0,numPts)]
output.Allocate(1, 1)
output.InsertNextCell(aPolyLine.GetCellType(), aPolyLine.GetPointIds())
print(output)
p.UpdatePipeline()
Render()
Show()