[Paraview] Python usage

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Mon Jun 17 04:12:39 EDT 2013

I don't use python much so haven't really explored the paraview+python capabilities, however my tests the other day tell me that

The python interface within paraview is very nice and you can create visualizations entirely from script with nice GUI interface thrown in.

If you run a raw python shell and import paraview, the renderviews are not interactive, so although you can setup reasonably decent visualizations, you can't 'play' with them.

Is there a way of having a pure python interface (i.e. no paraview gui), but still keep some of the interactive features that the paraview gui gives you (i.e. an event loop for interaction and some other basic functionality)

...Is it possible to go further and create a mini paraview entirely in python? (I'm not sure what I'm asking for here, but I am curious as to what you can do).

Thanks

JB

--
John Biddiscombe,                        email:biddisco @.at.@ cscs.ch