[Paraview] Specifying the data set name when loading image file or applying filter

Russell M. Taylor II taylorr at cs.unc.edu
Sun Jun 16 19:30:46 EDT 2013

I have had several cases in my vis class, and when working with
biologists that have large 3D image data sets, where I wanted to load
in a couple of data sets (or the same data set twice, perhaps at
different blur levels) and then subtract or otherwise merge the data
sets (perhaps 3 vector components, one from each file, perhaps to do
difference-of-Gaussian filtering).

The issue is that there are a bunch of data sets, all with the same
name ("scalars" for example), so I can't select each one separately
to combine them.

I can do this by using the Calculator filter on each to produce a new
data set for each and then using the Append Attributes filter to pull
them all together.  The calculator step has a couple of unfortunate
features: (1) it takes a while to run these filters, and (2) it takes
a lot more memory to do things this way.

Is there any way to tell the input filter what name you'd like to
have it give to the data set?  It tells you that it will be
"scalars", but you cannot edit that field to make it something else
-- all you can do is turn it on or off.  It would save several steps
and a lot of time and memory if we could name the field something
useful as it came in the first time.

Thanks,
Russ

p.s. We've pulled a lot of ITK filters together with the BioFormats
readers into a 3D microscopy tool based on ParaView, called
ImageSurfer, and this is where I'm currently trying to do
this.  Thank you so much for making this code available to the
community to extend!

---
Russell M. Taylor II, Ph.D.                           taylorr at cs.unc.edu
CB #3175, Sitterson Hall                        www.cs.unc.edu/~taylorr
University of North Carolina,                     Voice: (919) 962-1701
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3175                        FAX:   (919) 962-1799