[Paraview] Python usage

Pat Marion pat.marion at kitware.com
Tue Jun 18 19:43:31 EDT 2013

Hi John,

For render window interaction via pvpython, see the example script here:

http://www.paraview.org/pipermail/paraview/2010-June/018059.html

You probably need to update the library name in the 2nd import statement.

As for your 2nd question, it is possible to create a custom ParaView app
(with GUI) from Python, but it takes some setup.  It's not a use case that
is supported with examples and documentation, but if you're clever you can
do it using a python Qt library like PyQt4.  My preferred library is called
PythonQt, with a c++ plugin you can expose much of the ParaView pq api to
python.  I don't have documentation for it, yet, but it's here
(PythonQtPlugin-pv4.0 branch):

https://github.com/patmarion/ParaView/tree/PythonQtPlugin-pv4.0

Pat