[Paraview] VTK embedded models in JSP

Dani Mora daniel.mora.checa at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 04:24:40 EDT 2013

Hello everybody,

I just started to use Paraview and I got a bit stuck. We have some JSP
pages where we want to embed and visualize some .vtk models. I considered
two options at first:

1- Deploy a server that will render the models. I tried to do that but I
found that I should compile again Paraview to start the pvserver (to enable
the MPI). I followed the steps here:
http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView:Build_And_Install but I got some compiler
errors that I have not been to solve.

2- Export the .vtk models into webgl (using the Paraview GUI) and embed the
resulting .html documents as JSP pages . This is the simple approach and
works so far. Regarding this option, I have two questions:

    - When exporting from vtk to webgl, we get one HTML file, one WebGL
file and around 20 tiny files with unknown information. Since it works
using only the HTML one, what are the rest of the files for?

    - I need this task (to export) to be automatized because it is possible
that we will have many models in the future. I tried to use Python
scripting but I could not find how to do it.  Any idea about how to do
it? Is there any documentation I could read? I was thinking of extracting
this functionality from the source code but I am looking for a 'smarter'
solution.

Thanks a lot in advance, and sorry if some of the questions are very basic.

Daniel.

PS: I am working under Windows as a constraint of the project.
PS2: I recently found the X Toolkit WebGL (https://github.com/xtk/X#readme)
that is currently working, but I would like to have other options anyway.