[Paraview] Optimizing new workstation

Jean Hertzberg Hertzberg at Colorado.EDU
Tue Jul 23 14:22:39 EDT 2013

I am buying a new workstation, and I'd like to optimize it for Paraview. I run whatever the current Windows 64 release is. I visualize local (on my machine) cardiac MR velocity data; typically 192 X 132 X 42 grids with three components of velocity and computed vorticity, and a few scalars, in time sequences of up to 20 steps. Given a finite amount of money, should I emphasize CPU speed, number of processors, memory or graphics power? Here is the system I am considering:

Intel Xeon processor E5-1620 (four core, 3.6 Ghz, 10M, Turbo)

8 GB, DDR3 UDIMM memory, 1600 MHz, Non-ECC

NVIDIA Quadro K4000, 3 GB

256 GB 2.5" SATA 6 Gb/s solid state drive for the OS and programs

3 TB 7200 RPM 3.5" SATA  6 Gb/s for data.

Given an extra $500, upgrading which component(s) would give me the smoothest PV viewing experience?

Jean Hertzberg

Assoc. Professor
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Colorado, Boulder