[Paraview] ParaView 3.98 contour filter "Compute scalars" misbehaves

Russell M. Taylor II taylorr at cs.unc.edu
Fri Jan 4 16:16:04 EST 2013

After loading a data file with more than one data set in it (for
example, the VTK file stored in
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~taylorr/temp/Mcneil_CNTs.zip), application of
the contour filter does not allow me to click the "Compute Scalars"
checkbox (it is grayed out).  If I compute a range of values (Delete
All/New Range) and Contour by "Result1", it does not carry Result1
into the output.  Therefore, I cannot color the contours by the value
I used to generate them.

Workaround shows another problem: If I use the Calculator on the
original data set and make a Result1copy data set from Result1 and
then Contour the output of the calculator by Result1, then it carries
through Result1 and Result2 but not Result1copy.  I would have
expected it to keep Result2 and Result1copy.  If I contour by
Result1copy, it still carries through Result1 and Result2.

I'll add the workaround into my homework description for the class
this semester, but it would be good if the checkbox was not grayed
out so we could select the behavior that we usually want from this
filter.  It used to work in an older version.

Thanks,
Russ

---
Russell M. Taylor II, Ph.D.                           taylorr at cs.unc.edu
CB #3175, Sitterson Hall                        www.cs.unc.edu/~taylorr
University of North Carolina,                     Voice: (919) 962-1701
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3175                        FAX:   (919) 962-1799