[Paraview] ParaView 3.98 NRRD reader does not support ASCII encoding

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Fri Jan 4 17:18:22 EST 2013

I hadn't any plans to implement ASCII encoding in the NRRD reader, and I
don't know of anyone else making any edits to it.

The problem with ASCII encoding is that there is no straightforward way to
implement parallel reading of the data (because offsets cannot be
determined), and one of the main practical functions of the NRRD reader is
to be able to read very large raw arrays from files.

I wouldn't think it would be too hard to implement ASCII encodings.  It
could just fail or do something stupid if run in parallel.

-Ken