[Paraview] PV crashed when processed big(7GB) VTK file with multi-core enabled

KuN kun at geotricks.net
Fri Dec 13 06:50:59 EST 2013

Hi all,

I've been using PV for a while. Just recently I start to feed
hi-resoultion LiDAR to my model. The output file is huge, 7gb with 23
million node and even more triangles. Of course my workstation can't
render this kind of data (I process them on a Amazon EC2 with 64GB ram),
so I opened another EC2 and installed a new PV with MPI&OSMESA enabled.
The remote server works well with small files. But it crashed with
bigger one while multi-cores were used.

    "BAD TERMINATION OF ONE OF YOUR APPLICATION PROCESSES"
    "EXIT CODE :134"

It did work with one core only, but the speed is unbearable. I also
noticed that when it worked (with one core), it only used about 11.1 GB
of ram while the release ver. used 13.6GB in my Ubuntu 12.04 before
crashing.

Sorry I can't provide anymore useful information. But I'd like to know
how you guys work with this kind of big VTK file.

Thanks and have a good weekend,

KuN