[Paraview] PV crashed when processed big(7GB) VTK file with multi-core enabled

Burlen Loring bloring at lbl.gov
Fri Dec 13 13:10:40 EST 2013

KuN,

Normally as datasets get larger you'd  want to use multiple nodes each
with multiple cores. 7GB unstructured data is maybe big for one node. I
think a 64GB node should be able to handle it, although you're in
territory where you may want more nodes depending on what you're doing
in PV.

One issue may arise from the reader and how the data is stored on disk.
The legacy VTK format is the worst, the XML format can be very good
although with the XML formats I think it works best when the data is
partitioned into chunks on disk. Which format are you using and if it's
the XML format how many partitions on disk are there?

A related issue is that MPI used int's in its API. This sometimes is a
problem when dealing with really large data. This won't be an issue if
your data is in the XML format and partitioned into 2G or smaller chunks.

In PV 4.1 the command line option --enable-bt will produce a stack trace
on stderr if PV crashes or aborts, you'd need to compile with debug
symbols, CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug or RelWithDebInfo. This may shed light
on what's crashing and why. In earlier versions backtrace could be
enabled from the memory inspector panel but didn't catch abort and will
not help for debugging MPI errors.

Burlen